16 Jul 2018
Zimbabwe’s remarkable nature, stunning scenery and exotic wildlife have made this country a unique travel destination. Here are some facts you should know before visiting:
- Zimbabwe’s population is 16 million, the equivalent to 0.22% of the total word population.
- Harare is Zimbabwe’s capital city.
- The capital’s former name was Salisbury, chosen in honour of the British Prime Minister, Lord Salisbury.
- Zimbabwe is bordered by South Africa, Botswana, Zambia and Mozambique.
- Zimbabwe was once a very rich country.
- There are 16 official languages, which is an amount greater than that of any other country.
- 86.5% of the population is literate, which is one of the highest literacy rates in Africa.
- Selling products consisting of the colours of the Zimbabwean National Flag is illegal.
- Zimbabwe has a young population – More than half of the people in Zimbabwe are below age 21.
- The world’s largest man-made lake is located on the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe.